- What medium's right for you?
- Firstly, what look are you trying to achieve?
- Is this picture to hang with predecessors, ancestors, or the like?
- Do you have a budget in mind?
- Where is this picture going to hang?
- How much space do you have?
- Sometimes an artist whose style you admire may not be suited to painting under life size.
All these questions and more can be answered when you visit our commissioning gallery.
Avoiding common commissioning pitfalls
Is this painting for a particular date? A surprise?
Don't be tempted to choose an artist just because he/she can get the project completed in time. Always trust your instinct, if you don't find an artist whose style you really like don't embark on the project.
Have you seen enough of their recent work? Most important rule of all: don't choose an artist because you have heard of them. Many portraits linger in attics because people commission friends of friends to paint a child when they are really only confident at painting older people etc etc. The rules apply to all types of commissioning.